Saturday, April 18, 2009

How Bruckner chased us through Europe (part 5)

At exactly seven we tear into Vienna. At twelve past seven I stop our little car with squeaking brakes at the only open spot available, right in front of the most expensive hotel on the Kärtnerring, Centre Vienna, just around the corner from the Musikverein. We are surrounded by long black limousines. The Christmas season has started in Vienna. Warm lights decorate the trees. The city looks cozy. Our Czech Skoda disappears between the dazzling paint of the long vehicles. This is Vienna, every inch. Before I even can get out of the car we are enclosed by the official doormen from the hotel. High hats, long red coats. It takes only a minute to explain why we have to stay in this privileged VIP spot, forbidden for normal cars and people.  While I run to the hall, Kim will hook up to their wireless internet to book us an affordable hotel. “Please?”  It’s accepted. Kim books, I run. It’s not more than two minutes to the Musikverein. I will be in time.

There she is, well wrapped in Viennese fur, clutching a contrasting bright yellow plastic bag from Musikhaus Doblinger. She is ready to enter the concert hall when she spots me. “I’ve put two gifts in the bag as a consolation for the misfortune you have had.” “What will be played tonight”, I ask her. “You don’t know?” she replies with sincere disbelieve in her voice. “Bruckner third Symphony, the same version as I just handed to you. Nobody less then Kurt Masur conducts the National Orchestra of France.” I stood rooted to the spot, speechless. Did this all happen to get me here? How do these things work? Is there no coincidence, or does it exists after all? Very strongly inside I feel I have to be there tonight, have to hear that particular concert. All of a sudden there seems to be the reason we are in Vienna now, at this very moment in time, and not in Prague anymore…

I thank the lady, who tells me the concert starts with Beethoven fourth piano concerto, express my hope to make it to the second half to hear Bruckner, and run back to the car. Kim has booked! We race through Vienna centre to the hotel and throw the bags in the hotel lobby. Kim takes care of the checking in, I park the car in a parking garage and run back to the Musikverein through the wintery Vienna night. I take the shortest route right through a busy Christmas market and ignoring every red pedestrian light. Would I be in time? Beethoven lasts half an hour. 

To be continued, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment